Pages


Monday, February 27, 2012

Grocery Store Clerk-EMPLOYEES WHO LAUGH TOGETHER

I've been on vacation for a week and today, being Monday, I found myself  back at work.  Naturally, there was plenty to do and I'm still not caught up but tomorrow is another day.  So, the big question was, "Did you go anywhere?"  "Nope, didn't leave the house except to take Miss Gizzy to the vet's office for her vaccinations."  I was quick to realize just how boring that must have sounded, because that response always seemed to end the conversations.  But despite how it may have sounded, I loved it. There was cooking, baking, writing, cleaning, reading and so much more, that I found myself constantly busy.

Before I came to work at the store, I had traveled extensively for quite a few years.  I am very fortunate to have friends that live, not only here in the states but also, in Europe and south of the border so that allowed me some great places to go. And now I seem content to stay home and work on my projects and just enjoy my home.  However, there was one thing missing, but I just couldn't think of what it was.

So having gotten back into the swing of things, at work today, I realized tonight that I am feeling the results.  The feet are a little sore from eight hours of walking non-stop, the back is feeling a little achy from lifting cases of produce and my fingers are a little stiff from cutting flowers all day.  Is this what I missed?  No, can't be.

But now that I am home, I am noticing how quiet it is.  There is no music filling the air, no one  is talking, no ringing from the Deli chicken fryer alerting everyone that the order is done and there are no phones ringing.  Is this what I missed - noise?  No, surely not.  After being home for about ten minutes, it hit me.  Laughter, there is no sound of laughter. 

Even though  I go to work, there doesn't seem to be an hour go by that I am not laughing.  Most of us do.  We talk and laugh, no matter what part of the store we are in - we laugh.  Our conversations are funny, and most everyone has a quick wit about them.  It defines who we are.  Apparently, we are just a bunch of people who like working with each other and that lends a lot to the atmosphere of our working environment.  This is probably why we are so outgoing and personable with the customers.  I enjoy the people that I work with and I  appreciate who they are.  In some ways they seem to make my day and many times I see how they make the day a little bit brighter for so many customers.  Because no matter the weather or how they may be feeling, they still laugh - a lot.

So, even though I enjoyed my week at home, and I seemed to have accomplished a lot, there was one thing that I didn't get to do;  I don't remember laughing.

Talk at ya later!

No comments:

Post a Comment