Pages


Sunday, February 12, 2012

Grocery Store Clerk - WHEN EMPLOYEES BECOME CUSTOMERS

After work, last night, I took a few moments to pick up some items before leaving the store.  While I was checking out the spice rack, I heard someone call out to me.  Turning around, I found that it was a customer who was also shopping.   Seeing the red basket, that I was carrying, he said, "You shop here, too?"

So I got to thinking about this, and why it is that  I shop in the store in which I work.  Well, let's admit it, it is rather convenient.  I mean, I already have a parking spot and once I clock out all I have to do is go downstairs, get a cart and begin to shop.  I don't even have to go outside.  Now that is convenience.  But I soon realized that there is more to my shopping here, then just convenience.  For although I am an employee, I am treated like a customer and experience the same Customer Service as our patrons do.  Now granted my budget is a lot smaller then most of our customers but, with each dollar that I spend, I still receive  that great service that is passed on to those that spend a hundred or more. 

For instance, the Meat Manager is quick to let us know when he is running specials on something we might be interested in.  Before Thanksgiving, I was looking for a small turkey, maybe ten pounds or so, but was unable to find one.  Then one of the guys, working in the Meat Department, found one and came and asked me, if I would like for them to hold it for me.  Now that is service.   The Produce Manager, my boss, has thanked me for my purchases, especially since I shop in that department at least twice a week.  And when I check out, well it has not been uncommon for the Frontlines Manager to bag my groceries.  Not only do we get great service, but the Store Manager, himself, has thanked us for shopping in our store.   These people, that I have mentioned, are not only helpful and courteous but, they also know the value of an employee's patronage.  When you consider how many employees, that are on staff, and how much they spend per week, especially if they have families, then it adds up to quite a chunk of change.  Just do the math.

So heads up, to all of you other managers, once these employees clock out, they automatically become possible customers.  Their spending helps to provide your income, the staff's income and pay the bills. Not only that, but these people provide the best source of advertisement, and it is free.

My response to that customer, "Of course, I do." 

Talk at ya later!




No comments:

Post a Comment