Pages


Thursday, February 9, 2012

Grocery Store Clerk - ONE STOP SHOP

Since yesterday was my day off, my girlfriend and I decided to go out and eat and just kind of bum around.  So, since I had to pick up a few items, we made our way to a large retailer and browsed the store.  First of all, it was a mess.  Apparently, this company is in the process of enlarging their grocery department;  to include produce and meat, etc., along with their already selected grocery items.   They, like another large retailer, are creating that 'one-stop' shopping experience that we, the consumers, have become so inclined to  patronize.  In watching this type of retail growth, as a consumer, I feel like I am getting stuck in the middle of a retail war.  However will they outdo each other?

Many years ago, I tried that 'one-stop' shopping.  The community, in which I resided at the time, had a large retailer come in and build a 'super-center' store.  In it, I could get my groceries, add to my wardrobe, check out the latest in electronics, buy my favorite makeup, pick up a prescription and buy a frying pan.  I remember that frying pan; I still have it (17 years later).   This was so cool, and look at the amount of time I was saving by doing it all under one roof, to the tune of $157.00, yep, I even remember how much I spent.  And that was back in the 90's.

Although I was a little took back, as to how much I had spent, I was quick to assess that it was all of the extra things I had purchased that had added on to my weekly grocery expense.  Besides, those shoes I had bought were a knock out, and at such a cheap price.  Just for the record, the shoes didn't make it nearly as long as the frying pan.

So, I decided to shop at that store again, and told myself that I would watch my spending and stick to just buying groceries.  I did, somewhat, but there were sales that I could not avoid.  They were not items that were grocery, nor were they items that I needed.  These items just seemed to be a good deal and I could not pass them up .  But after two weeks, of these shopping excursions, I found myself having to return meat that I had purchased.  This is how I learned about pre-packaged meat.   When I would arrive to return the items, I would find myself having to stand in a long line and wait to get my refund.  Well, that took care of the time that I thought that I had saved by shopping at the store.  And since this happened on a regular basis, I decided that it was time to do some comparison shopping.

I went back to the grocery store and did my weekly shopping, then on to the drugstore to get whatever  items I needed and picked up a prescription.  When I got home and compared the expense, with the expense of the previous weeks of shopping, I noticed that I had saved substantially and did not have anything extra which I really did not need.    In the process of this comparison shopping, I felt like this large retailer was making a sucker out of me.  By offering me such good deals, or so I thought, they were playing on my weak side and knowing that I could not walk away from these 'great deals'.  And in the long run, had I continued shopping like this, I was sure to run into financial trouble.  Something, I am sure that they would not care about.

Over the years this retailer, that I had started patronizing, has become the largest and there are others trying to compete for this market.  Having had this experience, I am glad that I caught on and returned to my old shopping habits.  Little did I know, that it would turn out to be in my best interest.  In the following years I would find myself relocating, the professional job market would take a hit, I would not be able to earn the income I was accustomed to and a recession was about to follow.

As for what I saw last night, well, let's just say that anyone can handle groceries.  Put up some shelving and tables, install some coolers and presto, you have a grocery store.  But there is a lot more that goes into groceries, as compared to just handling them.  It takes a staff with knowledge and dedication, in order to maintain these perishable products for the customers to get the best. And in order for this to be accomplished, it takes a staff that is dedicated to their jobs. When you consider what these large retailers pay their hourly employees, dedication will be harder for theses employers to attain.

As compared to previous years, customers are now wanting more for their money.  They expect quality as well as good prices and this puts competition in a whole new light.  Although there are a lot of companies out there vying for the consumer dollars, it will be interesting as to which of these retailers will make the cut.


Talk at ya later!

No comments:

Post a Comment