Pages


Monday, February 20, 2012

Grocery Store Clerk - THE BENEFIT OF SMALL BUSINESSES

As a consumer I am finding, more and more, the benefit of a small business.   Recently, I have been trying to get my home phone, cable and wireless (bundle package) service changed.  Originally, I had started this in order to serve my needs better.  But, having received my last bill, I am changing it due to the significant change being made to the amount it costs to have this service.  But,getting this service changed, has become somewhat of a hassle. 

First, I followed the procedure, this company wished, by sending in my request via email.  Well the first date, which I was given, could not be kept due to my working schedule.  So, I immediately sent my email response and informed the company when I would be available.  Again, I got a reply agreeing to the date that I had requested, along with a confirmation.  In the meantime a service call was made to my house, just not on the scheduled date.  I know this because of the large, yellow notice attached to my front door, 'Sorry we missed you'.  Well, I went back and reviewed the email, concerning the date, and found that the service call was not expected on that particular day. When the official date arrived, the service call was to be made between 8:00 a.m., to noon, I was quick to realize that no one was coming when I noticed that it was 2:00 p.m..  It seemed that our wires were getting crossed in 'cyberspace'.

Again, sending another email, I informed the company that I would be following through with this request by telephone.  Well, they had the last laugh because that just presented another dilemma; trying to get through to a representative.  Waiting on the line and listening to countless ads being broadcast for my benefit, I finally gave up. 

Then one night, while I was fixing dinner, my doorbell rang and there at the door was a technician to take care of my service request.  Even though my request was finally being taken care of, I had not received any form of communication to let me know that I should be expecting this service call at this time. That's when I realized, that I have fallen victim to large companies.

For some reason, and now I know why, I have always tried to maintain my every day needs with small businesses.  The hardware store, which I frequent, is a local business; the bank, which carries my mortgage and checking accounts, is a small community bank and the stores which I frequent are small community stores.  Now even though so many of my friends frequent the larger establishments, I have often found that perhaps my way is a better way.

First of all, I get far better service.  When something goes wrong, the problem is quickly remedied and I have always been treated graciously.  Besides, the problems are few and far between.  I am always treated like an old friend and find, that I am always happy to go to these places of business.  Secondly, I, unlike most of my friends, am not always complaining about problems with the banks, etc..  Instead, I find that I can count on these businesses to not only take care of me, but can also be assured that they are there should a problem arise.  They provide me with a sense of security.

I think part of how I conduct my personal business, is due to where I work.  I see how being a small establishment provides a better, one on one, atmosphere, which in turn gives better service and also makes for less problems.   And the products, although perhaps selections are smaller, are of better quality then what can be found at a larger store.  There are no hidden charges to provide this customer service and it is something that is always guaranteed.  Problems are inevitable, it is how a business conducts the resolution of the problems that makes the difference.  So, as with my 'bundle package', I have found that smaller is better and maybe, less is best. 

Perhaps, we will see more small businesses begin to rise out of the ashes of this recession.  And if so, we, the public, just might be ready for that customer service which we would like to get when spending our money.  Every day at work,  I witness the kind of service that consumers want when they shop.  And, from a consumer's point of view, it is nice to see that somethings have not changed.

Talk at ya later!

No comments:

Post a Comment