Pages


Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Grocery Store Clerk - THE GIRLS FROM CYBERSPACE

I am off today and my mind is busy with all of these scenes that I captured at work yesterday, so I need to log all of this in, what my friend calls, my 'cyberspace diary.'

Be you a customer, or an employee, have you ever really paid any attention to the U-Scan?  Probably not.  It is just a place where you stand in line and wait in order to check yourself out at the next available station.  I have witnessed some customers stand there with a full cart and wait to check themselves out - and I am talking about a $100 order at the least.  Then again, I have seen where a customer having only one item, will stand in a checkout lane with three orders in front of them waiting to be checked out.  Whatever the case, U-Scan has become a hub. 

There are four stations set up for customers to check themselves out and each of these stations has a name.  Our employees named them, basically because each of them seems to have a personality and causes problems on a daily basis.  Since the recordings are of a female voice, they have been named Deloris, Beatrice, Cloris (I think) and I forget the fourth one.  But whatever the name, there are days that I have heard an employee threaten to pull their plugs if they didn't shape up.  Now I do not know what this says about us, when we begin talking and eventually threatening a machine.  But, it happens.

One night I was in attendance when a customer came through to check out her order.  She would scan the item, drop it in the bag and begin to proceed with the next  item.  For some reason there were countless times when old Beatrice would not cooperate with the customer and I would have to assist.  Finally, the customer looked up at me and said, "Now I know what you people go through when checking us out."  Yep, that's right. 

And does anyone think that it is peculiar that businesses now want you to check yourself out?  The customer does all of the work, puts up with the hassles and when they are unhappy about something there is no communicating with a machine.  No matter how many buttons you push.  Which is precisely why someone is in attendance.

Everyone that works that station is good.  They know all of the ins and outs of the system, the different programs, how to unjam, unhook and if need be unplug - Deloris. This can be at a furious pace one minute and dead silent the next.   The hurdles are many and yet these people seem to get over them all.  HIGH FIVE!!

As for me, well, I do not work it that often. I am usually just the person who, upon seeing a flashing red light, will stop as I am passing and push the little button on the screen in order for the function to continue. That is the extent of my capabilities.  Technology is not my forte nor do I wish it to be. With age, I have noticed that I have become one of those people that I use to call, 'old fashioned'. And, I am learning to live with it.

Now the one thing that can be assured, at the end of every sale at a U-Scan, is that Deloris, Cloris and Beatrice  will thank each customer for choosing the fast lane.  Note the wording.

As for me, well, I prefer the cashier to check me out - for a couple of reasons.  First, like I said, I am old fashioned and second, well I have a fear of how I will be looked upon when the day finally comes that I threaten to beat the 'cyberlinks' out of Deloris.

Talk at ya later!

No comments:

Post a Comment