Pages


Saturday, November 19, 2011

Grocery Store Clerk - A SHOPPING TRIP AND MORE

Today I went shopping.  It was a cold and lonely experience.  Usually when I go shopping, I will go with one of of my girlfriends and it will end up being a day out accompanied with lunch or dinner.  Always, we have a nice time.  But today I went alone because, well, everyone is working and I had only planned to pick up a couple of items.  The shopping trip only lasted thirty minutes and that includes driving time.  So it was in and out, and I didn't feel like I could get out of there fast enough.

First, the store was packed with shoppers.  Now these shoppers were taking their time pushing their carts, talking on their cell phones and discussing purchases with whomever they were with.  So there was no pressure to move it along and they were in no hurry to do so.  As I zigged and zagged my way through the aisles, I took in a lot of the atmosphere  around me.  Take the customers, there was only one lady who smiled at me as she passed.  Everyone else would just look at me with absolutely no expression.  Then there was quite a few that didn't look up at all as they pushed their carts through the aisles.  They weren't even looking where they were going. Luckily, I was watching out for where they were headed.  And if by some chance they did get in my path, and almost take me out, there was no, "I'm sorry." or "Excuse me.",  they just kept going.

While I was looking through some of the clothes in women's apparel, a lady came through pushing a cart while talking on her cell phone.  She was close enough to me that I could hear her conversation as she went by; "Somebody just dropped some clothes on the floor and I just ran over them." she said. And she kept going.  What is really sad is that I felt compelled to go over and pick up the clothes and replace them on the rack, which I did.

Secondly, the employees.  Now these people were really hoofing it.  I saw no employee standing around talking with another co-worker, instead they were busy stocking and walking at a fast pace as their two-way radios commanded them to a department for assistance.  Then I went to checkout, the lines were not long but what was open had at least three people in each.  I was positioned in line when a young woman came through announcing what lanes were open without wait.  She went at a fast pace and picked up baskets as she made her way across the floor.  Then suddenly I felt something come down on my shoulder, it was her hand.  "It will be quicker if you go to 7." she said.  Actually, I wanted to stay in the lane I was in because the cashier was so friendly to the customers in front of me and so far, I hadn't had that experience here today.  But obediently, I went to Register 7 where the cashier spoke, took my money and said thank you without even looking up at me.  Everything that she was supposed to do.

Now since I am a clerk myself, how would I rate it?  Well, these people were so busy running and stocking there was no way I would have expected them to notice me, let alone make eye contact with me.  And at the checkout, the clerk was cordial and did  just what was expected of her job. And not having enough people on the floor is the fault of the company.  Clearly these people are over worked for what they are making in wages and they don't seem very happy with their job.  Not one employee had a smile or even a slight grin on their face.  And if I were in their position then I am sure that my demeanor would be the same.  And let us not forget the type of customers that they have to cater to.  .  But I genuinely feel sorry for these employees.  It is  the amount of work and lack of pay that these employees endure that clearly allows these companies to continue their growth.

So,  why did I go?  The one item I needed is cheaper by $4 then at a regular drug store and I needed to get another set of flannels since mine have developed holes after ten years of wash and wear.  This store is only three blocks from my house and is convenient.  In all reality there was no where else to go unless it was to their leading competitor.  And if I had to go there, then I would have spent the extra $4 at the drugstore and forgotten about buying flannels.  Going to these big stores does not make for an enjoyable shopping experience.

When one has to shop, which we do from time to time, the better the experience the less hassle we go though.  Granted our store is nothing like the new one which I was in today.  The automatic doors stick from time to time, the ceiling tiles show stains from previous leaks and some of the carts are old and make noises as they move throughout the store.  But, when you come through those doors you see smiles, hear laughter and there is always someone to talk to. 

Perhaps, it is the people, not the company, that makes all of the difference.

Talk at ya later!

No comments:

Post a Comment