Pages


Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Grocery Store Clerk - SLACKERS

Recently, a co-worker was describing how the new people should be trained. 

She said, "These people are going to be trained the right way." Meaning, they will be trained to make these statements; 'Hi, how are you?', 'Did you find everything okay?', 'Do you have any coupons?'. She finished the conversation by making this statement, "They will not be slackers."  Meaning, like the rest of us. 

By her definition of the perfect Frontlines employee, I have discovered that I am a 'slacker'.

Since I was on Frontlines last night, I have spent the  morning reflecting on how the normal procedure goes when a customer is checking out.  Well, the majority of customers that come through my line know me.  From the minute they begin unloading their carts they start up this conversation.  It would be about what they did over the weekend to reviewing what was on the ballot this election day.  Throughout the time that they were in line the conversation would continue and there was always laughter involved.  To one customer, I asked how her mother was doing to which I got a complete report.  Another customer is a new grandmother, so she was ever so ready to tell me about her visits with the new baby.  With each customer that came through, I received something as did they; making the job more enjoyable.

Quite simply, it is that human contact that makes their shopping seem more like a visit rather than a chore.  And for me, well it makes those hours I work far more enjoyable. 

As a consumer, I know that these things are important. 

When I bought my house seven years ago, I had absolutely no knowledge of painting walls, sanding floors or even how to change a washer in  a faucet.  So off to the big hardware store on the hill, I did go.  There were not many employees on the floor to help me and, when trying to locate a product, I had to wait in line to ask for directions.  The building was so large that I think I got lost when trying to find the exit.

When I finally did find someone to help me, I explained the project that I was attempting to do.  The sales person sold me so much product that I ended up having to go and get a cart.  Please take note that I had to go get a cart, they did not provide one for me, which took me another ten minutes just trying to find the carts.  Well, in the long run, I ended up taking half of the items back because I did  not need them.  After that shopping excursion, my self esteem as a home owner took a dive.

But, I tried again and this time at my local hardware store.  It is small and the parking is up close to the building.  If you walk around for more than five minutes, someone is quick to ask if you need help.  They ask what kind of project you are working on and if you can't give a complete description, they know what questions to ask and are quick to fill in the blanks.  What is really neat, is that they know what 'doodads' are and what colors they come in. They will give you advice on how to complete your project and never sell you more than what you need.  If it is too big to fit in your vehicle, they will deliver - no charge.  And forget the cart, they carry it out for you. 

These guys took an amateur and made dreams come true.

Seven years later, I am still frequenting the store. From the moment I walk in, to the moment I leave, I am being served like I was an old friend.  There's plenty of conversation and laughter and I always look forward to going back.

This is the way our store functions.  Compared to the other grocery stores, we are just a small neighborhood grocery.  It's a place where the majority of the shoppers will visit while they shop.  And it is not the company that draws the customers, or the type of product that is offered, but instead it is the employees.  I am proud of our store because, much like my community hardware store, we offer something that cannot be found at the bigger stores, real Customer Service.

My conclusion?  There are no 'slackers' here.  Each employee giving physical and personable attention to customers.

It is not the dialogue that makes Customer Service, it is the attention that we give which makes customers keep coming back. 

Talk at ya later!

No comments:

Post a Comment