Pages


Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Cincigal Grocery Store Clerk - FROM CHINA TO AMERICA

Until three years ago, there was a certain customer that would come into the store three to five times a week.  His shopping list was simple; hot peppers, a jug of tea.  Hot peppers, he would tell me, was for his heart condition and the tea was just a mere enjoyment.

With each trip to the store, he would stop and visit with me.  Our conversations, I will always remember.

This gentleman, was from China.  Throughout the years, I learned of the Japanese invasion into China, when he was a young man, and of his life in a concentration camp.  It was in the camp where he met his future wife.  It was a meeting that ultimately saved her from the hands of the Japanese soldiers. 

Upon leaving the camp they made their way to the Netherlands.  He would tell me that, it was the Chinese that taught the Dutch to eat three meals a day instead of two.

From the Netherlands, these two Chinese immigrants made their way to America.  It was here that they planted their roots.  He worked as a Janitor, bought a home and raised a family.

He was now eighty-five years old and his wife was suffering from Dementia.  His doctor was pleased with the improvement of his heart condition, to which he was quick to tell the doctor. "It's the peppers."  He often told me about the peppers and to also remember that the cure for what ails one, is in the foods.  Advice which I have taken to heart.

His tidy, brick home sits on one of the main thoroughfares and every day I pass it while on my way to work.  On the porch sit two statues;  Dutch Girl, Dutch Boy.

Today, as I passed his house, there stood a For Sale sign.

One of the problems with this job is that there are some customers you become very attached to and, he was one of them.  Having not seen him, the last three years, I presumed that his health must be failing but I kept looking for him.

Why this customer chose me to talk to, I don't know.  But, I am very glad that he did.  Through him, I got a look inside history and the two lives that survived it.

I will miss him.

Talk at ya later!

No comments:

Post a Comment