Pages


Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Cincigal Grocery Store Clerk - WE GOT EACH OTHER

"Nancy, can you help me?" asked Barb, as she stood there holding a pint of Strawberries, some Blueberries and the like.  With arms full, she turned and headed back to the Produce prep area.

I was just coming back from break when I came upon this scene, so I immediately headed to the time clock and clocked back in.  With a hair net in place, and pulling on my gloves, I walked into a scene that would look familiar on the Food Network.  There Barb and Debbie were busy, frantically washing and cutting up fruit in preparation of a large fruit tray.

It seems that while I was out, a customer came in to pick up her order; an order that had been called in, but Produce never received.  And instead of waiting for me, these two ladies jumped in to take care of the customer's request.  There they were, one from the Deli and one from Frontlines - each determined to get the job done.

Now you have to keep in mind that none of us had ever done a tray before; but, we managed to do it this time.

The customer was happy and couldn't stop thanking us.  And she went on to tell us how wonderful the tray looked.  Mmm, perhaps we may have a new calling.

When things occur, as they do from time to time, the employees in this store have always been known for jumping in to help take care of a situation.  Only once, over the years, have I ever heard an employee say, "That's not my job."

And it has never mattered if an employee knew how to proceed, they just always jump in and 'play it by ear.'

That has always been one of the great things about this store - it's people.  They use to call it Team Work, what they call it now - I don't know.  But that doesn't matter.  What matters, is that we can always count on each other and we always get the customer taken care of.

Now there was no one in management to see what we did and, I am sure that this would not even rate with a Mystery Shopper.  But at the end of the day, that didn't matter to us.

Our only aim was to please the customer.

And if we have made them happy well, that's enough for us.

Talk at ya later! 

No comments:

Post a Comment