Pages


Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Cincigal Grocery Store Clerk - I HEAR VOICES

"Do you have any more Cilantro in the back?" the voice asked. 

Voices, voices that you hear coming from behind you.  Not in front of you - face to face.  Not beside you, but behind you.  And I have always noticed that you hear these voices while you are in the process of doing something else; most generally stocking or walking away.

And what is even more surprising is that, you hear voices in the far distance behind you.  Far, far away - like two aisles away.

And even though you hear these voices coming from behind you, you know that they know that you know that they are directing a question to YOU!!

Even when you don't see them.

So, I have compiled a list of the voices which I have heard, over the last ten years:

"Hey you!."
"Hey grocery lady."
"Hey, I"m talking to you."
"Hey, I guess you didn't hear me."
"Do you work here?"
"EXCUSE ME!", Where's the ______?"
"Where's the ______."
"Hey, you got a bathroom in here?"

Voices, all coming from behind you.  No faces, just voices.

And most generally when you stop, turn in the direction that you hear the voice coming from, you accommodate the person that has either spoken or screamed the request; depending on the distance the voice has traveled.

So throughout the day, you hear these voices.  And sometimes, you will hear these voices even when there is actually no one there.

In turning to address the voice you provide the answer the voice is seeking.

"All you have is Parsley, no Cilantro, I know what Parsley looks like and that is all that you have out."  So, I go over to the wet rack for a look. 

I put in my hand and pull out a bunch of Cilantro and hand it to the customer with the voice.

"No, that is Parsley - I know what Parsley looks like." said the voice.

Lucky for me, the band wrapping the bunch says, Cilantro.

The voice takes the bunch from my hand and turning to leave, says, "Guess you came over here for nothing."

Voices - now if they could just say, "Thank you!"

Talk at ya later!



"


 

No comments:

Post a Comment