Pages


Friday, June 21, 2013

Cincigal Grocery Store Clerk - TAKING IT PERSONALLY

"Are you ready?", were the words that I heard as I made  my way in the door. The store was busy and everyone seemed to be hopping.

Stocking, restocking, flexing on register - there was no down time.

Towards evening, I was stocking the front display of peaches when a customer said, "You're busy today."  "Good."

The customer went on to say, how much she likes coming to the store and how personable everyone is. 

We conversed for a few minutes and I thanked her for her compliment.

Later in the evening, I got to thinking about a statement that this customer had made; "I was talking with a friend of mine, and she said that this is the best store in the company."

Imagine, being told that we are the best.

In this business, an employee can have a tendency of taking their job personally.  In fact, the one liner I hear more than any other is, "You can't take it personally."

But, for some of us there is no choice in the matter; the job just becomes a part of you.

It's in the preparation, organizing, maintaining, planning and how you work it that makes the difference.  You are putting yourself, physically and mentally, into what you do.   The outcome of the job, becomes that of personal satisfaction - because there is no extra pay or recognition.

And although this is a valuable tool for a business, it can end up being discouraging for an employee.

I often think that I need to distance myself from this job but so far, I have not been very successful at it.

So even though there are discouraging moments and the thought of, 'Why, do I do this?,' crosses my mind from time to time, you find that it doesn't always go unnoticed.  For every once in awhile, you will hear those words that give you a sense of recognition.

And wouldn't you know - it will most generally come from a customer.

Talk at ya later!

No comments:

Post a Comment