Pages


Sunday, January 22, 2012

Grocery Store Clerk - 'CRANKINESS IN THE WORK PLACE' & WHY

After I got home from work tonight I proceeded to start dinner, pour myself a Heineken and get out the Laptop.  This has become something of a ritual for me.  So, while dinner is cooking, I begin to browse my favorite sites and one of them is MSN Money.  I am just a sucker for journalism that gives me the latest scoops on various issues such as retirement (alright), the outlook on banks, stocks - well you get the picture.  Surprised?  Just because I work in a grocery store, does not mean that I am limited in my interests. 

As I was browsing, I came across a headline that grabbed my attention; 'Retail workers have cause to be cranky.' (you can find it under Smart Spending).  This article explains how the pay, work schedules and benefits, mostly of large corporate chains, affects the personal and financial lives of the workforce.  The definition used to describe pay, is 'lousy', and schedules is termed as being 'irregular'.  And the benefits?  Does anyone remember all of the attention paid to Wal-mart and health insurance?   These results stem from a study taken in a large city, where most employees worked for large company chains.   The article gives a lot of insight as to what the workforce endures in order to survive, or at least attempts to.  It is definitely worth reading, because how these companies maintain their workforce has an 'impact on the economy', and provides a burden on the tax payers.

Reading the article reminded me about one of the posts that I wrote a couple of months ago, in regard to a shopping trip at one of these chain stores.  In the post, I described the employees that I saw and how not even one had a grin on their face.  I guess now, we know why.
 
At our store I don't think we are 'cranky', we  do, however, get down once in awhile.   And although this article brought attention to very important problems being faced by so many, it also made me realize just how lucky I am.

Talk at ya later!

No comments:

Post a Comment