Pages


Friday, November 23, 2012

Cincigal Grocery Store Clerk - FAMILY, MEMORIES - AND SHOPPING?

There has been a lot of reporting going on, prior to Thanksgiving Day, with regard to retail companies making employees work on this holiday.  In fact, there has been enough information provided, from both sides of the fence, to keep journalists and columnists busy.  Employees of two major retailers threw out their side of the story while spokesmen for the companies provided their side.  Legal positions were taken while protests and walkouts were forecasted and still, the public went shopping.

And since I am a retail employee and, for the first time in ten years, had the benefit of spending this holiday with my family then I feel I have a right to throw my hat into this ring.

We, as retail employees and companies for that matter, are not the ones to call the shots; it is, in fact, the consumers.  This is the group that controls the retail world.  How much revenue will be brought in, what big ticket items will be purchased, how much workforce will be needed to cover the shopping frenzy, all decided by the consumer. 

They may not attend the board meetings of these large retail companies but, they sure do set the standards by which they operate.

The fact of not receiving time and a half pay to work the holiday, doesn't bother me at all.  It's not that I don't need the extra pay, it is the fact that I was able to put family first.

On these holidays, my cousin  opens up her home to all of us living in the vicinity.  She graciously prepares a tremendous feast and provides us all an opportunity to come together.  We laugh, converse, bring each other up to date and remember those that are not with us anymore. 

It is our time, our family time.

The family, of which we come from, is who we are; our past, present and future.   It is where we go when we need support, guidance and the feeling of belonging.  We argue, laugh, cry and through this we come together - we are family.

So, when speaking of this holiday and comparing the celebration and meaning of it, to those of previous years, we must remember that it is us, the public the consumer, that has allowed for this holiday to change.

We have a choice.

As for me, I prefer to celebrate with my family

Talk at ya later!







 

No comments:

Post a Comment