Pages


Friday, October 25, 2013

Cincigal Grocery Store Clerk - THE THANK YOU

Another vacation and what have I accomplished? 

Well, I was really looking forward to coming to the house, barricading myself in and beginning my new project.  But, though I got started, I really did not accomplish that much and instead have a clean house and all the laundry is done.  Not exactly what I had in mind.

I tried, I really did, but was totally unable to concentrate.  Everything was ready!  I had purchased some canvas, had taken inventory of my brushes and paints and, more importantly, I knew exactly what I was going to paint.

As far as I got was putting the canvas on the easel and selecting the brushes and paints to use - and, then it was over.

For as quickly as my excitement came, it was gone. 

My mind would not stop thinking about, THE STORE.  This is pathetic.

Usually when I have something on my mind, I find cleaning is a great way to work out the stress of the situation.  Cleaning is basically motion memory so, I do not have to concentrate on what I am doing which allows for my mind to wonder.  And, more often then not, I come up with solutions while performing these tasks.  I call it, 'cheap psychology'.
 
But this time it hasn't worked.

The more I cleaned, the more frustrated I became.

Believe it, or not, the biggest concern right now at the store is that of the score of a Mystery Shopper's report and how this score can be improved.   And for all of the employees, this is like a slap in the face.  You see the score is based on greeting customers, department floors that are unattended, etc..  Oh yeah, and pop machines that are 'out of order'.  These reports do not take into effect as to what an employee was doing at the time or why the floor of the department was unattended or the fact that possibly the pop machines are not the property of the store - just the fact that these occurrences happened.

So, getting back to cleaning, I find that throughout my house there are reminders of what customers think of our so called, Customer Service.

As I clean the bookshelves I find these figures that are made from dried flower pods and seeds.  There are two figures, approximately 5" tall, resembling dancers with tambourines and flowing skirts painted in vivid colors, a clown's head reminding one of Mardi Gras and the little duck as he paddles across a never ending pond.

These figures came in a box that was given to me by a customer.  The customer's sister was a Botanist and made these colorful and imaginative creations.

As I put my laundry away, I open my closet and am reminded of another customer.   Sitting on a shelf is a little bag made of lavender tulle and tied with a lavender bow.  The contents of the bag is dried lavender which the customer had harvested from her own garden.

After cleaning, it was time to water my many plants.  High on a shelf, above the kitchen sink, sits a plant that over time has began to cascade down to the kitchen counter.  This plant came as a starter that was given to me by a customer who loves plants.

And every day, as I open the refrigerator, I am reminded of one of our smallest customers.  There on the fridge hangs a portrait done in colored pencil, of Miss Gizzy in all of her splendor.

Then there are all of the deserts, cookies and pizzas that have been brought to the store, by customers, for all of the employees to enjoy.  And let's not forget all of the hugs, greetings, advice and recipes that come our way.

Noticing all of this memorabilia, and how it came to be in my possession, makes me re-think Customer Service.   Maybe they are right.  Just maybe we do not give real Customer Service and we need to take another look at it.

Because looking around my house I realize that one does not receive gifts for giving Customer Service. 

But, instead, these are tokens as a 'Thank you' for just being who we are.

Talk at ya later!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment