Pages


Saturday, February 16, 2013

Cincigal Grocery Store Clerk - THE GOOD EMPLOYEE

While reading an article, regarding employers and employees, I was reminded of  a previous job which I held for quite a few years.  During those years of employment, I was privileged to work for a sole proprietor who treated me as a valuable employee. It was through this employer's mentoring that I was able to achieve the abilities of what makes a successful employee, which I became.  It was through dedication, initiative and hard work that a partnership developed.

This employer believed, that 'good employees are hard to find and once you find one, treat them well.'

Although I no longer work in the same capacity, as I did, I found that the lessons provided me during that time have followed me throughout my employment history.

'Good employees', today, however, take on a different position.  No longer do the same rules apply. 

Being dependable, on time and trustworthy are still the main objectives of employment, but that seems to be the extent of what is expected today. 

It use to be that initiative, hard work, dedication and teamwork were a plus. 

Quite a few years ago, at one of our stores, there was an employee who use to work in a floral department.  The store was new and the department was large and developed to fit the floral needs of the customer.  There is no other person, I can think of , that could have taken this department and made it grow as what she did.   Her ideas were simple enough;  serve the customer.  With every aspect of this department, and customer service, taken into consideration the department earned a good reputation and gained quite a following; proven in the sales.  Her initiative, dedication and talent, that she provided to her job, brought in repeat business,  customer satisfaction and increased sales.

But in a matter of time, the company decided to make changes to the store, which ended up downsizing this once  busy department.  With less stock and loss of services, the department lost the clientele that had been built up.  In no time, business began to slack off and our employee was left with no recourse but to follow the company's lead. 

Everything that had been gained was now becoming a thing of the past.

This employee would speak of those days often, referring to the specialties that she had created for the customers and would glow, knowing that she was the one responsible for all of those sales.  It was not long, after the change, that she took a leave from the company due to disappointment of where the company was heading.

Our former employee had dedicated herself to her job.  She had used her talents to fill a need for the customers and her initiative to make the department successful; she scored high in both categories.  Today, the department is hardly noticeable and there was no improvement for the store itself.

I have thought of her often and know how she must have felt as she witnessed her hard work and dedication slipping away.

A 'good employee',  as noted above, takes on a partnership with their employer. 

Employees can provide much to the business world, once given the opportunity.  So many times, it is the employees that have the insight of what customers want in order to provide growth for the business.

As to why companies do not take advantage of this, is a question, I guess, for a CEO.

So, in reading the article and reflecting on my previous job - I have discovered that I am glad that I believe in hard work, initiative and dedication when working a job. 

And even though these abilities may not be noticed by an employer, and  perhaps not even taken into consideration when making suggestions, it does, however, make me feel more worthwhile - be it when helping customers with a service or when working on my own, personal  goals.

Talk at ya later!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment