Pages


Thursday, October 11, 2012

Grocery Store Clerk - SAY WHAT?

I think that one of the first lessons which I learned, in this business, is that you cannot please all of the customers, all of the time.  The second lesson which I learned, is that there are times when you just have to forget about those, which you cannot please. 

"I got a complaint about you."  said the FL Manager.
"Really."
"She (customer) said, that you were slow (checking her out), but that she gave you a look and you got faster," said the manager.
"No one gave me a look, everything has been fine."

These are the incidences that kind of stay in your mind, but you don't really give them much thought - but, they remain with you anyways.

There are two different kinds of customers'; those that are loyal shoppers and those that shop at the local competitor.

The loyal customers love the service and attention they receive when they come to shop at our store.  And we, quite frankly, enjoy giving it to them.  Now those that frequent the competitor are most generally of the opposite nature; no personality and most generally are rude; total opposites.  Perhaps that is the way they are treated when they shop at their store of choice.

Last year, I had a customer from that other store come through my line and while she stood in line, I continued to check out and bag another customer's order. This waiting customer stood there frowning and hollered, "Are you open?" "Then you want to ring me out?" 

I turned, smiled at that customer and said, that I would be right with her and then continued bagging.  And what did our customer say, "Honey you pay her no mind."  Which brought a bigger frown to the waiting customer's face.

Once I was done with the transaction, I proceeded to ring out the waiting customer.  She threw her purchase down on the belt and then threw me the money to pay for it.  She mumbled a few words of disgust during the process and then the sale was over.  It was quite clear that she was trying to get me to act on her rude behaviour towards me - but, I could have cared less how she was treating me and besides, I wouldn't have stooped that low. 

We have found that most of the shoppers from the leading competitor display this kind of behaviour.

There will always be customers that are going to be impossible (and unhappy), so you might as well just put up with it.  But, on the other hand, their rude actions have taught me something and that is how I should act when I am out shopping.

If nothing else, they have made me a more courteous shopper.

Talk at ya later!

 

2 comments:

  1. And that's exactly why your loyal shoppers don't shop the competitor - we're not crazy about the customer disservice there or the rudeness of the other shoppers. Not to say that all of the shoppers or people who work there are rude and obnoxious but there are enough of them that it creates that sort of atmosphere. Anyway, we loyal shoppers appreciate what you do for us. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I will pass it on to everyone - it will make them happy.

      Delete