Pages


Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Cincigal Grocery Store Clerk - CHILI COOK OFF, BOOK REVIEW & DREAMS

"You remember me telling you about the Chili Cook Off?", she asked.  "No." was my response as I climbed down from stocking the top shelf of the Multi Deck.  "___________BEER."  she responded.  "Oh, yeah."  "How did that go?" I asked.  She then went on to tell me about how she just missed taking first place - BUT - she got the popular vote.  Now this is one Chili recipe that I would have loved to have tasted, since I have never heard where beer is used as an ingredient.

"Hey, how's that book coming along?" he asked. "Well, I got to tell ya, I have learned so much writing the Blog that I am just full of all sorts of new ideas."  I said, as I placed fresh flowers in the floral cooler.  "You know how many times I re-wrote my book?" he asked.  "No, how many?" I responded.  "Twelve - twelve times in three years." he said. We discussed how the publishing world was changing and how ebooks had come into play and each of us gave our opinions on the future of the literary world.  "Well, so long young lady." he said.  With a wave he pushed his cart back toward the Meat Department and was gone.

"Do you know what you're doing?" came a voice from the apple display.  "I am trying to restock these green beans."  was my response.  I really was, but in the process of lifting the crate of beans - well, some fell out.  "Well, don't you think that you should put the beans where they go instead of throwing them on the floor?" he asked.  From me, he got a look.  "Well, we just got back from Capital Hill and I spoke to the man - he said, every thing's going to be okay." he said.  "So how was the trip?' I asked.  He told me about Georgetown and the restaurants, the cabbys and the monuments. "You know, I am never going to retire, I am going to keep on going until something takes me down." he said.  "Like I tell the wife, you gotta do things now because you never know when it will be over."  We spoke of our futures and where we wanted to go.  My dream is to retire in Wyoming with my camera and canvases and to ride across the prairie with the wild horses. "You're going to get there sister, I see it for you."  "See ya later." he said.  And off he went to finish his shopping.  "Bye." And I was left to clean up the green beans.

"Are you feeling any better?' I asked.  "Oh Nancy, I tell you __________."  she said.  I was coming by the U-Scan after flexing on a register, when I passed her.  There she stood ready to check out her gallon of milk and one lemon, when another customer came up from behind her and took her spot.  She looked at him and I said to her, "Here let me check this out for you."  She and her husband are retired and come to the store almost daily.  They know each of us by name.  Before she took her trip back home to Portugal, she made sure that she had said, goodbye to each of us.  I scanned her two items and bagged each one.  "Ah, thank you Nancy." she said, as she patted my arm.

These are our customers.  This was my day - a day well spent.

Talk at ya later!

No comments:

Post a Comment