Pages


Friday, June 1, 2012

Grocery Store Clerk - HIGHS AND LOWS

At work, most days are enjoyable; from the time I park my car and report for work, till I clock back out and head for home.  Even before I get in the building, I will hear my name called and will turn around to a smile and a wave from a customer who is loading their car up with their groceries.  And as I make my way through the store, on my way to the time clock, I will be waving and greeting as I pass through.  But then there are days, which start out on a high note, only to spiral downward.

Sometimes it is like a gathering, a group of customers, that all come in at the same time and their mission is to make the employees feel as lousy as they can.  Their reasons will vary and there is no preference - they are bent on making someone feel miserable.  And before they leave the store, their mission has been accomplished.  Now why this happens, I am not sure.  The only reason, which I have been able to come up with, is that a grocery store is about one  of the only places which allows people to exhibit this behaviour - and get away with it.  I mean, what are these employees really going to do?   Nothing!  If a customer wants a reaction, then they should go to the leading competitor.  I understand that they really know how to dish it out.

The other night, I worked on Frontlines and we got hit with such a group.  Like a domino effect, employees took a hit; one by one.  First to get this treatment, was me.  A customer came through with an order of about $12, to which she paid with a $50 bill.  As a cashier should do, I inspected the currency for authenticity.  The customer made a comment, which I couldn't understand, and I said, "I'm sorry?" "I'M NOT TALKING TO YOU!" was her response, accompanied with a frown.  Upon handing the customer her receipt, she grabbed it from my hand and stomped off.  Apparently, she felt I was questioning her honesty by inspecting the $50 bill.  Or so the CSM said. 

Behind me was another cashier, having to tolerate two customers.  The sale consisted of alcohol, to which the cashier requested to see their ID.   As the customers produced the IDs, they began to mock the cashier and laugh at her.  Why?  Haven't a clue, the cashier was only doing what the law requires on these sales.  The cashier remained polite and ended the sale.  As the customers left, the cashier's head went down and she simply asked, "Why do people act like that?"  You have to understand, that this cashier is one of the nicest people you could ever meet and is very popular with the local customers. 

Further down the line, another cashier was hit but this time it was by a 'quick change artist'.   Posing as a customer, he requested change for a $50 bill.  The cashier politely declined which encouraged the party to be persistent with their request.  But, the cashier stood his ground - politely.  Realizing nothing was going to happen, the guy made his way out the door.  Then another cashier took a hit over coupons, then there was the one who was not happy with a price and, still yet,someone got defensive when a check was denied as payment.

These incidences were nothing, compared to some of the things that I have witnessed. Yet, they still have a tendency to make you feel down.  And with what these grocery store employees have to tolerate would be considered a 'drop in the bucket', when compared to what others go through in fields such as law enforcement and the medical profession.  But when you consider the pay scale, the social outlook on this type of employment and what corporations expect out of these employees, it is rather surprising that anyone would do these jobs with such grace and tolerance. 

But, there is another side.  Sometimes, when these scenes take place there will be other customers in line that, not only witness the displays but, will make a comment on the matter.  They are encouraging to the cashier and a reminder that these incidences do not represent the majority of the customers.  It is like a reality check.  I find that I am always grateful for these customers. 

So, as the evening wears on and the shift comes to a close, you make your way upstairs to the time clock and as you leave the building you hear your name and see a wave.  Nine times out of ten, you leave feeling like you did when you came in.

Talk at ya later!

No comments:

Post a Comment