Pages


Sunday, June 3, 2012

Grocery Store Clerk - THANKS OPRAH!

In a couple of months, I will have been writing this Blog for one year.  I can remember every detail, and reasoning, as to why I decided to do this and what I hoped to accomplish.  Well, actually the accomplishment part of all of this was not really taken into consideration, at that time.  For you see, I didn't have the faintest idea on how to  start a Blog much less how to even get around the world of cyberspace.  So, actually, there was only reasoning.  As to accomplishment, well, that was yet to be seen.

The employment scene is what drove me.  Ever since this recession began, and the job market started declining, I always noticed that it was the professional sector of the employment world that got all of the attention;  the high heeled, business suits of the workforce.  With degrees and resumes of accomplishments in hand, this workforce took center stage.  There were television broadcasts which followed their journeys, almost like a reality show, while there were other programs that kept these people in the know of what to do and what not to do.  Articles sprung up in magazines and newspapers, providing information, and  there were polls that gave the latest surveys while cyberspace, was filled with reference sites and stories of accomplishments. 

Still, nothing about the other workforce; these people were undergoing loss of hours, pay cuts and loss of jobs.

Then one day my friend emailed me that Oprah was looking for ideas for a new show. Having seen the programs that follow the 'white collared' workforce, I came up with an idea and followed through with getting my idea to Oprah; a program portraying the workforce that provides services. Well, you can't get a hold of Oprah by email so my friend supplied me with two mailing addresses for her company and a letter was sent via snail mail. That was in June, 2011, and to date there has been no reply.

By the following August, it was quite apparent that I would not be receiving an answer from Oprah.

So, one day I announced that I was going to start a Blog and put out there in cyberspace all of these wonderful things that I see these employees do every day. Now as excited as what I was, there was clearly a problem with this idea; I had no clue on how to accomplish this task so, I immediately began to research, how to start a Blog.

Now lucky for me, there is a guy at work that is very savvy at this technology thing.  I would go to work every day with a list of questions and he would provide the answers.  He even knew how to put these answers  into terms that I would understand.  By using terminology such as 'thingies' and giving me the exact location of placement, I came to learn about URLs and 'whatnots'.  

I was beginning to feel quite accomplished.

Ehow became my favorite site and week by week, day by day, I began to put the pieces together.  Then, there it was - the Blog.  I went to work and boasted to my co-workers of my accomplishment, but there ended up being a problem;  it could not be found.  So, I went back to researching about Blogs and trouble shooting which is how I found out about search engines and 'worms'.   In the meantime, I kept typing away night after night. 

Then finally, it appeared for all the world to see.

So, thanks to Oprah, I have learned my way around cyberspace and have accomplished a Blog that portrays this unnoticed workforce.  Perhaps this Blog doesn't get much attention, and these workers still go unnoticed, but at least this workforce now has a footprint in cyberspace and will live on forever.

 Thanks Oprah!

Talk at ya later!

Note:  A special thanks goes to my cousin, for getting me the Laptop and to Ben, for his technical support.  Without them, there would be no Blog/Cincigal Grocery Store Clerk

No comments:

Post a Comment