Pages


Friday, June 8, 2012

Grocery Store Clerk - CHANGE

For all of the time which I have worked in retail, there is an expression which I have often heard and it goes something like this, 'Change is good.'  And having been through quite a few changes, my response has always been, 'For whom?'  But the one thing which I have noticed, with each change made,  is that another change follows- customer reaction.  Unfortunately, customer reaction most generally will be negative.  And when this happens, sales begin to decline.  And yet, changes continue to be made.

The way it appears, is that companies seem to have control over the customers.  They tell the customers what they will buy (selection), how they will buy it (company card) and how much they have to buy (sale items).  Now with that in mind, the customers' reactions (as depicted in sales) is a big, resounding, "No', and off they will go to another store.  Understanding this concept is fairly easy and yet, for some reason, companies just never catch on. Instead of looking at the whole picture, as to why sales continue to slide, they will most generally implement more changes in an attempt to win back a consumer's patronage.  However, the employees, who have been through these changes, are very good at depicting the outcome of changes.  In fact, they will usually score a 100%.  The reason, is that employees know the customers, not to mention that they too are consumers.   This thing called, Customer Service is what provides them with the incite needed to be successful with their jobs.  Companies, on the other hand, don't have this advantage and are thus, uninformed of how they are perceived by the public.

Recently my department has been going through changes and, I am sorry to say, it is not going well.  And due to the attachment that I have with the customers, it has become rather depressing. You see, I am not use to getting complaints- actually, I can't remember ever having had a complaint.  But now, well, that has all changed.  A couple of months ago, the company switched to a new floral supplier and through this supplier I have been unable to order certain flowers that I normally carried.  Now, even though I have substituted, the customers have not accepted the change.  One gentleman has been buying a bouquet of Asian Lillies every week, for eight years, and  can no longer get them from me.  Then there is a certain arrangement which I made with mini white Carnations, which I can't get anymore and consequently had to turn down two orders.  And the list goes on.

Then today,  while I was working on Frontlines, a customer came to me and asked,  'what's going on with the flowers?'  The customer had come to the store especially for flowers and was so disappointed at not only the lack of selection, but the department was now smaller and had less stock.  I apologized.  This may not mean much to some, but to me this has all been so disheartening.  Over the years, I have taken such pride in what I did and relished the praises that I received from the customers.  So, to see this department dwindle and have to watch the customers go elsewhere is very frustrating.  I guess what is even more disheartening, is that there is nothing that I can do to change it.

I will miss the customers that I have come to know over these last nine years.   Their compliments, "You always have the freshest flowers.",  their orders, "Gee, I didn't think that you could out do the last arrangement, it was so beautiful, but you have - it's gorgeous."  And their remarks, "I just love going through your department, it is always so beautiful; you do such a good job." 

So, for nine years I have been on an ego trip; that's true.  But for nine years, the department was a good representation of the company and it provided that little something extra for the customers.  And no matter how it will go in the future, there is one thing that will remain - the memory of it.  And that, I am proud of. 

Change is inevitable, that is a known fact, but how change is implemented is what becomes the deciding factor.

Talk at ya later!

1 comment:

  1. I don't work in the same department, but I understand how difficult change at the work place can be. I don't know who you work for, but where I do there are MAJOR changes and cutbacks. I am constantly hearing complaints about the store and service. With so many cut backs we have less and less people staffed. So that's more work for everyone. And with all of the cutbacks everyone is on edge about the security in their jobs. I have seen some great people let go of. I am sick of comments, criticism and negativity from customers when it is NOT our fault. Blame the people up the corporate ladder. I am growing to hate my company, I don't even know how much longer I will be working with them with cut backs *hint hint*.

    ReplyDelete