Pages


Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Grocery Store Clerk - AN INSPIRATION

When a customer looks at an employee, it is most generally to ask them a question or to give them a complaint.  But around our store, there are a lot of customers that look at the employees in a whole different light - friend.  Our employees are outgoing people.  They don't think twice about offering to help someone, they converse and laugh with the customers and there have been plenty of times when I have heard advice being shared.  This is just the way it is around here.  So, what I witnessed last night did not surprise me in the least.

I had a customer come into the store and approach me about a young boy in the parking lot who was asking people for money.  She did, 'not appreciate', this.  I assured her that I would take care of it and in the meantime, apologized for the incident.  Why?  I guess it is just a habit.  No matter what it is, if a customer is disgruntled about something, I just automatically apologise; even though I have nothing to do with the matter.  But, be that as it may, I made my way outside and politely informed the lad that he could not approach the customers for money.  His response was, "Okay."  I went back into the store and continued stocking produce.  Later, I discovered that my request had been ignored and that this young man had continued with his attempts of collecting funds from the customers.

It was around this time, that one of our employees went outside for a break.  By now the weather had changed and it had begun to rain - hard.  The employee took a seat on the bench and, in noticing the young man approaching the customers, informed the boy that he could not do this.  With that, a conversation ensued between the two; 

"Man, you can't be doing that here."  said the employee  The lad went and sat down on the bench next to the employee.
"Do you have to walk home?" he asked.
"Yeah." was the response.

With that statement, the employee went back into the store where he purchased a rain poncho.  Returning outside, he gave the poncho to our young entrepreneur.

Working in this profession, gives way to days that seem endless; nothing goes right, the complaints are abundant and the demands are constant.   What is even more burdensome, is that you most generally have nothing to do with any of it.  But you take it on the chin and move on.  During these days, I most generally think about where I could work and not have this overload and how much better it might be.  But, then I look around me and realise just one thing - I would never find a job that would offer me, the type of people that I work with.  I find that I not only like them, but in so many ways I am proud of them.  Often, they are an inspiration to us all.

Talk at ya later!



2 comments:

  1. No wonder I like you all so much! You are people who care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for noticing. On behalf of all employees - much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete