Pages


Saturday, April 28, 2012

Grocery Store Clerk - SECOND NATURE

Friday night, a night which a large part of the population uses to celebrate the end of a work week.  Where I, on the other hand, choose to make it a night when I do my shopping.  With the Garden Center open, I find that it is hard for me to resist those blooming pots of Petunias, and what nots, and visualise how they will look in my yard this summer.  Naturally this promotes urges to buy a few things and then, of course, there is the usual grocery list items to pick up.  So, once I have clocked out, I grab my list and head downstairs to get a cart and start my Friday night celebration, in a grocery store.

I will usually run into a customer or two, while I make my way down each aisle, and we will chat for a few minutes, have a couple of laughs and I will then continue my celebration of Friday night.   In the meantime, I noticed a co-worker who was also shopping.  I saw her cart and she was holding a list, but she was with a customer.  While shopping a customer had approached her and asked her where a certain item would be located.  Not being on the clock, the employee took the customer to the product they were looking for.  When she returned to her cart, she gave me a wave and continued on with her shopping. 

When it was time for me to checkout, I found one checkout lane open with two customers in line.  In front of everyone, was a rather large order in the process of being checked out.  The cashier was trying to check out and bag the order as quickly as possible but it was a rather large order which prompted the customer to assist as well.  Another employee,  who was also shopping and waiting in line, jumped in and started to help bag.  In no time, the order was bagged and the customer was smiling and thanking everyone for their help.  And the cashier, was very appreciative for the extra hand.

Now I don't know if anyone noticed the way these employees went out of their way to help, while they were off the clock.  Nor do I know if anyone would really care, besides the customers and the cashier.  What I do know, however, is that I wish everyone could see the displays of customer service that I witness, by these employees, every day.  Some would say that their actions demonstrate dedication, not only to the customers but also to their store.  But, I don't thinks so.  For when you watch these employees you are quick to see, that to them, these actions are just second nature.

Talk at ya later!



No comments:

Post a Comment