Pages


Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Grocery Store Clerk - ANOTHER HOLIDAY SPENT AT A GROCERY STORE

This has been quite a week, as are all holiday weeks, but this one was just a little different then most.  For starters, this week was the last week for one of our co-workers. Having accepted a different position at another store, this employee is moving on.  He leaves behind co-workers, and customers, that will remember him fondly.  With a strong work ethic, he was someone who could be counted on when things would get just a little crazy and his personality gave way to an enjoyable working atmosphere.  We miss him already.

And of course, this was the week of Easter.  As with all holidays, customers were in the rush mode while trying to get everything accomplished and yet, they were in high spirits.  With the weather being picture perfect, the garden center open with blooming, potted, spring plants and the tantalizing treats from the Bakery - everything pointed to a perfect weekend.  And, so it was.  Actually, it wasn't too bad  working on this holiday.  Although I must admit that the heavy work load made it a little overwhelming at times, and I wish that I was able to be with my family, none the less, all of the smiles and greetings that I got from the customers seemed to make the holiday just a little brighter.   Everyone seemed to be rejuvenated and ready to celebrate the spring.

As employees, we do not get to share in the holiday, like the customers do.  Instead, we are busy preparing for the holiday and when that day arrives we are then busy assisting customers in order to help them celebrate the holiday.  So, for us these special times take on a different mode and sometimes we wish that we were on the other end.  But since we can't be, being surrounded in an atmosphere filled with happy people makes it a lot easier to accept.

Now that the day is over and the cleanup has begun, it is work as usual.  No more are the big orders waiting to be prepped and displayed, the big displays are sold out and broken down, cleanups are done and one can now hear the music playing over the speaker since the crowds have dispensed.  Amongst ourselves we discuss how the holiday went with stories of how busy we were and the people that we catered to.  All of the ups and downs, kindnesses shown, chaotic moments and anything else we may have experienced.  There are quite a few laughs and no one seems to be down.  We all muddled through just fine.

But by the end of the night, I am dirty and tired and ready to head to the house - as usual.  At this particular moment I am not in the great mood that I had been earlier.  Reality has set in and I am remembering how I use to celebrate Easter and realise that time is moving by so fast and how much I miss those times.  And I have to admit, that I feel a combination of sadness and anger as I stand there with a broom and dustpan in hand.  Instead of enjoying family, I am cleaning the floor in a grocery store - or so my mind is telling me. 

As I look up, I see a fellow employee leaving for the night and in passing they say,"Happy Easter, Nancy."  Maybe this isn't so bad after all.

Talk at ya later!


No comments:

Post a Comment