Pages


Saturday, October 15, 2011

Grocery Store Clerk - SWEETS FOR THE SWEET

Today is Sweetest Day!  A day which, I am told, is totally Cincinnati.  Flowers, candy and cards - kind of like Valentines Day, only on a smaller scale.   When you work on these holidays, you start preparing about two weeks in advance.  You plan it at work and you plan even when you're not at work.  There's the ordering and the preparation once it comes in.  Then you have to figure out how to display, what to create and then comes the endless task of keeping everything alive.  Making sure that the cut flowers are kept in water and the potted plants are watered; it becomes an endless cycle.  Then of course, should you work in a grocery store, you have the other jobs that just seem to pop up when you least expect it.

Then the holiday arrives and instantly, it is over and you fall into exhaustion.  Sore feet from walking all over the store, an aching back from lifting cases of flowers and plants and numb fingers from making bows for the last two days.  Along with the aches, pains and the joys of clean up there is also the reviewing of how the holiday went - retail wise.  Did I plan enough, were the displays as good as they could have been and did my creations make someone smile?

Of course there is the personal end.  Now I don't have a guy in my life, but I remember how I would feel when David would remember me on Valentines Day; it was warm and wonderful.  And even though those days are over, it is a nice memory that I often return to on these holidays.

So, just when I am in the middle of this 'pity me party,' an employee comes over with a bag of Hershey's Kisses and to each of us ladies, he presents us with one and says, 'Happy Sweetest Day.'  As I look around, I see the smiles come across their faces as they take that Hershey's Kiss. 

For one moment, we have stopped what we were doing and with this one kind gesture, we have now become participants of Sweetest Day.  Thanks James.


Talk at ya later!

No comments:

Post a Comment