Pages


Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Grocery Store Clerk - THE EXTRA MILE

Working in a grocery store can present many challenges.  While some of these challenges may be customer related, others will pertain to your job performance.  One of the biggest challenges, I have found, is that of trying to keep the body pain free.  There is the constant lifting of cases, pulling of skids, standing for over two hours at a time in one place, stretching way beyond the extent of the body and the list goes on.  And even though we, the employees, watch movies demonstrating the proper way to accomplish these tasks, you still find that there is no pain free way to handle your job.  It's going to break you down in the knees, feet, lower back, joints, neck and well, all over.  Sometimes even your senses get attacked.

So with that in mind,  today we began walking for our health.  That's right! Under a new program called, 'Associates In Motion', each employee, who has signed up, has been equipped with their own pedometer - at the cost of $10.00 each.  Now to get employees interested in this program the company has established prizes and provided us with the guidelines.   We have now accomplished our second week. 

Has this done anything for me?  Well, it was interesting to see how much I walk around the store doing my different jobs - the first week, approximately 27 miles.  But now it is getting old.  If I am walking that much, and a lot of my fellow workers are walking more, then I need to slow down.  I now understand why my knees have been swollen and my feet aching for all of these years.

My co-workers tell me that this move is for insurance purposes and it's to get us healthy.  As one employee put it, "This job breaks down your body and then they're wanting us to walk."  "What's that all about?"

As we are finding out, we already walk a lot so we must be healthy.  Granted, I am sure, my outlook would not be acceptable to this program, but isn't it ironic that we are to walk to better health when we are already broken down?

Talk at ya later!

No comments:

Post a Comment