Pages


Thursday, October 2, 2014

Cincigal Grocery Store Clerk - LIGHTS, CAMERA .......ACTION

Last week, a few scenes for a movie were filmed at my house.  My little house was filled with people, technical equipment, lights and all sorts of equipment.  There were people running in and out carrying clothes, props, coolers and whatever else.  So for 14 hours my little house, on my little street, became a set and I got to witness the making of scenes for a movie.  And while people were busy setting up inside there were others busy setting up outside.  My garage was turned into a station for technical and lighting equipment, and the like, while my front lawn became the sight for pitching a large tent in preparation for the dinner to come.  All was set and people began to take their places.

I kind of moseyed around the yard and met the different actors, tech people and whoever else happened to be on my lawn.  But, more or less, I kind of stationed myself out back on my deck with my laptop until, that is, the food came.  There it was nice and quiet with only the birds chirping in the background.  And the only sound that broke the calmness was when you would hear, 'QUIET ON THE SET.' 

Watching the cast and crew I noticed that it seemed a bit like 'hurry up and wait', instead of just going in and getting the job done.  There would be periods where a large group of people would be standing around outside talking with each other, reminiscing about previous movies they had worked on, while others kept to themselves - trying to get into character.  All of this while a scene would be shooting inside the house.  And then all of a sudden the scene would be done and those that were in came out while those that were out went in.  All very methodical.

Throughout the day I had the opportunity to chat with some of these people and learn a little background as to what was taking place.  The scenes, actions, getting into character - it was where each party had a part to play and each part had a purpose.

After 14 hours I kind of noticed the similarity of what I had witnessed as compared to where I work.

We have lights and the cameras are based in the ceiling throughout the store, what we don't have is someone calling, "ACTION".  That is a feeling which you get when you walk in the door.  Now getting into character is something that we don't necessarily try to do - it is an automatic.  Where one moment we can be laughing and discussing something with one customer and within seconds turn around and have to handle a customer with a problem or an irate customer.  There are no patterns and no scene remains the same - everything constantly changing.  We never let the real us show through.  Throughout the extent of our shift, we are in character.  In other words, we act out a scene; one after another.

Now I am sure that an actor would disagree and not see the similarity in these two opposite jobs.  And to some degree they would be right - they dress better. 

But, all in all, we are rather good at acting and yet there is one major difference that I can think of;

We don't have a script - we ad lib. 

Talk at ya later!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment