Pages


Saturday, September 22, 2012

Cinicigal Grocery Store Clerk - 'FLOWER POWER'

To title this Post, I have borrowed an old, familiar slogan from the '60's', which was used to represent peaceful movements against the Vietnam War.  Created by Allen Ginsberg, it is a phrase that is, 'considered a legacy', of it's time.

So, when dealing with a certain customer the words, 'Flower Power,' was the first thing that came to my mind.

This summer I have noticed some new faces that have begun to patronise our store and slowly, they have begun to acknowledge us when we greet them.  That is, all but one customer.  Weekly, this lady has been coming into the store and shop for her items but never would she respond when I would say, 'Hi'.  Why?  I haven't a clue, but have learned to accept the idea that not all people are basically, friendly.  So when I would be at a register, she would come through my line and when greeted she would grunt.

Her answers would be simple, if asked a question; 'Yes', 'No', 'Ok',  The tone in her voice never wavered and her facial expression would never change.  She never smiled, but then again she never complained.  So, for the last two months this is the way it has been - until now.

A few weeks ago, this customer came strolling through while I was working in the Floral Department.  I watched as she hovered over the bouquets of flowers in the cooler as if trying to decide which one grabbed her fancy, until she finally settled on a bouquet of Oriental Lillies.  Looking up, she spotted me and made her approach.  Of course my first thought was, 'Uh, oh.' 

"Are you the girl who does the flowers?" she asked.
"Yes, I am."  "Is there something I can help you with?"
"No."  "I just wanted to tell you, how beautiful your arrangements are."  "You do a good job." was her response.
"Thank you very much."

The customer went on to tell me how she buys a bouquet every week and always gives a few of the flowers to her neighbor, who is ill.  She thanked me and then went on her way.

When looking back, I do recall that each time she shopped I would see a bouquet  of flowers in her hand.

Needless to say, we are now friends.  Each time she sees me in the store, she waves and calls me by name.  No longer does she have a stern look on her face - now, she smiles.  And since our introduction in the Floral Department, I notice that she speaks to various employees.

This lady has now become a regular customer and has taken on the traits of our other regular customers; she seems happy to be here and has come to appreciate our employees and still gets a bouquet of flowers each time she shops.

Grocery shopping is a chore, I think most of us will agree on that.  It is something that we have to make time for in our busy schedules and yet, it is something we cannot avoid.  So, while doing a chore it is rather nice when we find something that lifts us, something that we can appreciate.  As in this case, something so simple made all of the difference.

Something as simple as a bouquet of flowers.

Talk at ya later!


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment