Pages


Saturday, December 10, 2011

Grocery Store Clerk - MUCH APPRECIATED

Every once in awhile there will be a day come along, at work, that just seems to be very strange. It's like there is something in the air.  Things seem to go wrong, events take place, that you never saw coming, and attitudes and personalities just seem to be off beat.  And no matter what direction you turn, there is something wrong.  That is how it was yesterday.  If it hadn't been raining, I would have sworn there was a full moon out last night.

But in the midst of all of this upheaval, something came shining through - compliments.  Now I am very use to hearing compliments from customers.  Either about myself or, most generally, about other employees.  But these last two days, the compliments have been abundant. 

The first one, was about me.  A customer, who had placed an order for a table centerpiece, was quick to tell me how beautiful it was and how I had out done the last arrangement she had ordered. And, she did not think that that was possible.  Now this was not only great to hear, but it had come just at the right time since I had just had a disappointing moment not ten minutes earlier.  Then another customer told me that a young guy, from up front, had just helped her locate the Pesto she had been looking for.  "That's what I love about coming here."  she said.  "You people are always so helpful."  Well, I definitely passed this on to the right guy.  He seemed to need a boost at that moment.  Later, while stocking produce, a customer asked me a question and I went to find out the correct answer.  Again, another compliment.

Then last night, as the chaos seemed to grow, more complimentary words came through.  I worked on Frontlines last night so I got an earful.  The first compliment was for the Meat Department.  The customer spoke of how much she enjoyed the meat specials, but even more important was how good the cuts of meat were.  Then another customer agreed and spoke of how helpful the guys were whenever she needed help.  Then there was the customer with the fruit tray.  While I was ringing up the order, I heard another customer remark on how great the tray looked.  I heard the customer respond, "They do a great job here."  "The cost may be more, but it is definitely worth it."  That one, I will pass on to the Produce Department.

Then I heard how an employee dried off a cart for a customer, since it had been sitting out in the rain.  And wasn't it nice how another employee stopped and asked a customer how they were doing.  And the night continued on like that.

Not along ago, when we attended a Customer Service meeting, it was expressed that most generally the company doesn't hear about the good things we do, instead they will hear about all of the negative things.  Well it would be great if customers would notify the company about all of these positive things that we do, but after last night, I can say that that doesn't bother me anymore.  Because hearing these customers' words, for myself, has meant more to me than any email from corporate complimenting us on a job well done. 

To all of our customers, who gave us recognition - THANK YOU SO MUCH!
We appreciate you all.

Talk at ya later!

No comments:

Post a Comment