Pages


Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Grocery Store Clerk - DO YOU HAVE PRESENCE?

Well now that I am back from my vacation, it didn't take long to get back into the swing of things.  Catching up on all of the latest news, getting out the orders and well, trying to play catch up filled the day with no extra time to spare.  In one way it was kind of good to be back.  Although my time at home was great and fulfilling, never mind that I didn't really wish to leave these walls of comfort, in a certain way it was good to go back. 

I have always noticed that when some people go on vacation, their presence is missed.  It's not just their physical presence, but instead it is all of the attributes that some people provide the work place.  For instance;  the way a person seems to just light up the store with their laughter, the way someone may show a bit of  kindness at just the right moment or the people with whom you just really enjoy talking with when things get just a little chaotic.

For this store, most of the people have such a presence  and I have noticed how much I miss them when they are gone.  So, in making my appearance, yesterday I noticed how many times fellow co-workers would approach me and ask me how I enjoyed my vacation.  And with each, it was the same response - loved it!  And of course I had to explain as to why I had loved it.  Patiently, each employee would stand there and listen and then each would give the same response, "Good, glad you're back."

So, I wondered what there would be about me that might be missed when I am gone.  Could it be my, 'gift for gab', my ability to do my work (so that no one else has to do it), or is it my personality?  Whatever the case, I can honestly say that it felt good to hear that I was missed.  And if by some chance it was just a matter of conversation, well that's okay.  Because in the long run, being made to feel that you are missed is a great morale booster. 

It means that you have presence.

Talk at ya later!

No comments:

Post a Comment