Pages


Monday, August 3, 2015

Cincigal Grocery Store Clerk - SAYING GOODBYE TO THE FLOWER GIRL

I guess the first thing I have realized, during this time, is that you just cannot avoid nostalgia.  It can't be helped.  Just a normal part of saying, 'Goodbye'.  And today, I am saying, 'Goodbye' to the Flower Girl; a title I was given by customers.

It's only now that I can see how far I have come, what I have contributed and achieved.  And of course each achievement has a story behind it.

Quite a few years ago, an employee told me that customers were requesting single roses so I got busy and started figuring out how to fill this request.  Well, to order single roses from the wholesaler added more cost to the store and since customers preferred the color red, well this would not be practical since only a percentage of the roses, in a case, were red.  The remainder of the case of single roses would be pastel and pastel does not last as long as red, so that would provide for more shrink and less sales.  So, believe it or not, I remembered a TV series called, The Love Boat and many times single roses were presented to the characters.  The roses were in long clear, single boxes and I thought that that was just so cool.  So, I got with the supplier who found me the boxes and water tubes and the idea became a reality.  And once presented to the customers, the reality became a staple for the floral department.  I lost count as to how many cases we went through over the years but, it was enough that we ended up with a sign.

Back then, when we were the other company, employees were encouraged to think up ideas and well, we were never without ideas - some of them even worked.  This was my first real business idea and since it took off I was ready to try other things.  Making cut arrangements became the next significant idea.  I worked at it and over time, even I was proud of the accomplishment.  By doing this I was using my own stock which cut down on my shrink and cost and I found outlets that sold very nice containers at a fraction of the wholesalers cost giving way to a far better selection.  Gees, I was becoming a real business person.  Each step taken led to another.  From there we went to potted plants.  Since we were the only store in the area that sold 4" potted foliage at a low price, the shelves were being refilled on a regular basis.  It wasn't long before I figured out what to bring in and when. 

Holidays were hectic.  I would normally spend anywhere between 48 -54 hours during a holiday week but, everything sold; bouquets, cut arrangements etc..  And when the flowers came in, the
skids were stacked so high that I would have to get a step ladder to unload. 

Now I go through all of the Thank you notes, the cards of appreciation and the pictures customers brought me of the arrangements I made for them and I will take them home.  With the last single rose having been sold this weekend, I have now removed the stand and sign from the floor.  The only thing in the flower cooler now are bouquets, there are no more cut arrangements.

Kind of hard saying, Goodbye to the Flower Girl.  It was a fun, interesting, frustrating  time filled with hard work and long hours.  And even though it's a little sad, I am glad that I had the chance to do it.

And I figured out why these ideas were such a hit - it was the customers  All I ever did was watch and listen to them and they taught me everything I needed to know.

There's a lesson here.

Talk at ya later!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment