Pages


Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Cincigal Grocery Store Clerk - WHY WORK HERE?

You know, you would never know how important grocery stores are until you search the web; pages, Blogs, interviews, commentaries, web sites, articles. etc..  And the reason, I guess, is because it is considered such big business.  Just look at all of the companies that are not grocery stores, but they still handle groceries.  So if you forgot to get milk, when doing your grocery shopping, you can stop by the drugstore and pick some up on the way home.  What convenience.

Yep, everyone handles food and has sales.

But when reviewing these sites, and reading these articles, I find that they most generally have nothing to do with groceries, the majority are all about the business of; Customer Service, technology, customer appreciation programs. 

Now recently I read a posted question, on a grocery site, requesting some ideas on preparing an, 'effective interview guide for hiring' employees.  The concept is simple enough, 'improve Customer Service, decrease turnover.'  I am sure that this basic formula would alleviate a lot of future hassles.

But, why does a company have to go to such great lengths to find good employees?  I mean, perhaps the company itself is lacking in something.  Why would employees not want to give good Customer Service and, why would there be a turnover?

So, I got to wondering - how did we get hired and manage to stay?

Although I cannot speak for the others I can, however, speak for myself.  I had an interview, answered their questions and knew nothing about grocery store jobs or the business thereof.  That was it, HIRED!  Why?  I, to this day, have no clue.  After all I was the least qualified person you could think of. 

Years later, I would learn that I was not expected to stay.  They were sure that I would keep looking,  find a job that I was qualified for and would hand in my notice. 

Fooled them!

But when I take the other employees into consideration I can see how they, not only managed to get the job, but have maintained a long history with the store.  

The secret to hiring so many with staying power?  The type of people that were hired.

These people did not come in with Resumes or a long trail of previous companies they had worked for.  They were just ordinary, hard working people that needed a job.

In the process the company gave them something to work for and the employees, in return, provided a good work ethic, great Customer Service and staying power that has lasted, for many, 15 to 20 years.

Why did I stay?  Well, I have to be honest.  After all I was making the same amount as I would downtown, didn't have to pay for parking, was only seven minutes from the house and my wardrobe was made simple with a uniform. 

But the real truth, as to why I stopped the job hunt, is the kind of working atmosphere that surrounded me.

I have learned a lot about business and how to create sales.   But the most important thing that I have learned, is the type of people it takes to make it work.

As for the posted request, a comment was posted from a retired grocery person who felt they could assist the inquiry since they had the knowledge acquired by the experience of many years in this field.  Of course none of which was posted.

So, what's the answer?

I think I just laid it out.

Talk at ya later!

No comments:

Post a Comment