Pages


Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Cincigal Grocery Store Clerk - THE PROBLEM SOLVERS

During these last two weeks, I have attempted to try my hand at becoming a  'do-it-yourself ', gal.  Uh, not going too well.  But I have not thrown in the wrench, just yet.

One of the advantages of working  at the store, is all of the information one can tap into when attempting to overcome a dilemma.  Have a problem with a car, an electronic issue or just need to find out who to call for a repair?  Just go to work and throw that problem out there and the responses will come pouring in.

A week ago, the port connections to my Laptop were not working correctly and I would have to jiggle it in order to get my Mouse to make tracks across my screen.  So, I asked a few knowledgeable co-workers and they offered some possibilities to the problem.  One thought it might be the 'mother-board?' while another co-worker suggested a software problem.  And a customer chimed in with the possibility that I just might need a new Mouse.  And the winner was?  The Mouse.   Simple, cheap and I was a 'happy camper.'

And then the following week I went to work with another dilemma, no I take that back - there were two dilemmas.  The night before I had been using the shower and, to my dismay, the water would not turn off all the way.  So, the next day I went to work and lo and behold, one of the girls gave me some instruction as to what needed to be done to take care of my plumbing issue.  Well, I went home and pulled out the big tool box, with an accumulation of tools that I am still learning to use, and proceeded to follow the instructions I had been given.  Things were going well, but the stem would not come out.  So, I resorted to the Laptop with the new Mouse and Googled the problem, watched the video and went back to playing plumber. 

Since this exercise was getting me nowhere I resorted to stopping at the hardware store on my way to work the next day, where I bought a can of spray to help me retrieve the stem.  Leaving the  hardware store, I ran into another dilemma - my car started vibrating and wanting to stall. 

The rest of my day was spent asking questions relating to automotive and plumbing and my co-workers, and a customer, were more than happy to provide some possible scenarios. So for the plumbing, well we are headed back to the hardware store.  And the car?  Well it is in the hands of my wonderful mechanic and there is no word yet.

What is nice, though, is that these people kind of provide me a sense of security.  With no one else to depend on, but myself, I find that others are usually far more knowledgeable than I am.  Most generally, there will be someone who will have had the same problem and either has a solution or knows who to call to get the job done.  And what is really nice is that they are always eager to provide the information and have been very resourceful in the past.

So, here's to all of these 'do it yourselfers', their experiences help provide me with solutions to those annoying problems that arise from time to time.

And do I think that I can follow their lead?  Like I said, I'm not ready to throw in the wrench just yet!

Talk at ya later!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment