Pages


Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Cincigal Grocery Store Clerk - FRIENDSHIPS


When you move to a new area, such as I did, you encounter quite a few challenges; learning your way around, not knowing anyone, the feeling of isolation, customs, where to shop - there is no 'how to book'.  And to get over these hurdles, one has to just jump in and try to overcome the situations at hand.  I found learning my way around a lot easier then meeting new people unless you consider the Meter Man, for the gas company, a formal introduction.  But try as you may, you find that everyone you encounter is, more or less, established in the area.  Usually, they are residents that have grown up in the area, have families and life long friends and, well - there is usually no need to meet anyone new.  Thus, the isolation.

But as time goes on, you have discovered where to shop and gotten lost enough times that you have learned your way around.  And although you find your new neighbors rather distant in approach, you still conjure up a smile and a wave as you pass them on the street.

I would like to say, that these challenges are short lived - but, they are not. 

But lucky for me, my station in life requires that I be employed.  And it is not until you find that 'dream job,' does your new social life take off.

These are the people who will work by your side during most of your waking hours.  They will come to know the real you and slowly, friendships will begin to evolve; some will be constant, while others will become fond acquaintances.  And if you are lucky, as I have been, these new acquaintances will end up being your friends through the long haul.

They become your lifeline, so to speak.  In need of direction?  They will point the way.  Need a ride, a shoulder, a confident, some assistance or how about a laugh or two?  They'll be there.

Friendships come from many directions in our lives; childhood, work, church, social, school, etc., and they are special.  Since these people are not family, they are given a choice - they don't have to like you.  But if they do, then  you are lucky.  We usually don't understand this until we find ourselves in unfamiliar surroundings and are forced to contend with the lack of companionship.

So, when things become a little discouraging - as they do from time to time - I simply reflect on these friendships which I have encountered over these last ten years.  They provide me with a sense of security and I know that all I have to do is to reach out.

And since being employed is inevitable, then I guess I am lucky with that as well.

Because, who would have thought that you could find people like this in a little grocery store on the west side of town?

Talk at ya later!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment