Pages


Friday, September 19, 2014

Cincigal Grocery Store Clerk - WHO, ME?

Back in August, I received an email from LinkedIn inviting me to publish a post.  Well needless to say, I was just a tad elated.  I sent out text messages and emails, to my family and friends, informing them of this grand request and asked them for their thoughts.  And the end result was positive.   Still filled with this elation I planned to get started.  Oh, my head was spinning.  And then it was over.

All at once, I was without words.  I choked.

Uh, huh - nothing to say.  Even I was shocked.  Here I was ready, prepared to write a post on one of the most widely viewed sites and I couldn't get started.  On each of my off days, I would hurry and get my chores done and rush to my laptop - only to sit and stare at a blank screen.  This went on so long that I fell into the, 'I'm not doing it ' mode.  But one of my friends, Connie, continued to encourage me.  She sent me ideas, like reading about the grocery store employees at Market Basket and the struggles and victory that they had just gone through.  Next, she sent me a link to a website to help teach me how to get started.  And then she gave me a simple, little idea - review my Blog.

So, I took her advice.  First I read the story, then I hit the website and still - nothing.  My first thought, after all of this, was to find out what was holding me back.

My 9th grade English teacher, Mrs. Dale, had once encouraged me to write and, she gave me some sound advice, "Write about what you know."  That was the first click.  From there I tried to reason with myself and I figured out what was holding me back - I felt intimidated.  Yep, that's right!  Now there were two things that I had never experienced -  being speechless and being intimidated.  And, I figured out why.

This post, should I write one, would be right along side all of the published posts by CEOs, and the like.  You know, professional people that know what they are talking about.  I mean, Sir Richard Branson publishes posts - oh, my.

So I reviewed my Blog and started making notes.  First, I did it in long hand and then practiced on the laptop.  As the day went along, 5 hours later, I realized what I had done.  There it was, my post.

I read it and re-read it and then stared at the publish button.  Well, what did I have to lose?  The nice thing about this is, if it is criticized, no one will ever know it was me.  After all, there are tons of Nancy Giffords out there in cyberspace.

On Wednesday afternoon, I pushed the publish button and put my post out there for over ten million people to read.

Thanks to Connie's ideas, I had a breakthrough and am very grateful because I broke through those two handicaps which I never knew I possessed.

The post is out and being read.  I have one 1 thumbs up and one comment, 'Great article.'

Oh yeah, I forgot to say what I wrote about, well here's a hint;

               12 YEARS WORKING IN A GROCERY STORE - and what have I learned?

Talk at ya later!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment