Pages


Sunday, December 18, 2011

Grocery Store Clerk - TAKING IT ON THE CHIN

The last two weeks have really been out of the norm.  There have been incidences that have been sad and then some that have put everyone on high alert, while other moments have just made me shake my head in disbelief.  But through each of these events one cannot help but notice just how much responsibility comes with this job.  So, I have decided to sing the praises of the Cashier.

Being a Cashier is by far the most difficult job in retail. Having to deal with countless personalities, company policies, payments, legal responsibilities and all of those things that seem to go wrong, takes skill and a lot of quick thinking.  And despite a statement which I heard one manager make, "Anyone can do this job." I guarantee you, not everyone can. Of course as a response to that manager, I would suggest that the President of the company, the CEO and the department managers, work this job for one week. These cashiers shoulder the complaints, the hassles, the crooks and every once in awhile a temper being thrown at them.  So tonight, I guess, was my turn to  shoulder some of that hassle. 

As a consumer, there are certain stores which I choose not to shop.  Usually there are various reasons, but never have I hurled my dissatisfaction of the establishment at an employee.  First of all it is not their fault.  And should I feel it important enough, then I should contact the company since they are the ones that would be responsible for whatever the case may be.  But tonight I had to take the fury of a dissatisfied customer and when she was done, and gone, I had to leave my register in order to cool off.

This customer was  unhappy because the sale prices were not ringing up, and naturally I remedied the situation.  I was calm and polite and made sure that everything was completed.  But when everything was said and done, she looked at me and said, "This is what I hate about you people."  When I had cleared the situation, I realised that what had bothered me the most was the words, not her actions. Because one will not find better people, then these employees, to wait on you.

Then, I realized that this type of customer is just a small fraction and that most customers treat us well and respectfully.  So I made my way back to the register, and sure enough, there were some familiar faces and once again we were laughing, discussing the holidays and everything was fine.  Funny how just one person can influence a whole day, if you let them.

It takes some intelligence and dignity to do this job and there are those that are far better at it then I will ever be.  Perhaps, this is why I hold so much respect for my co-workers.

And by the way, HIGH FIVE to the guy from Produce who took the time to take out a customer's groceries to their car - in the rain.

Talk At Ya Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment